What Certifications Do Electrical Lineworkers Need?

TWS is a Great Training Option for Everyone

Learn more about how we can prepare you to advance your career.

Are you interested in becoming an electrical lineworker? Are you wondering how to prepare for the certifications for this job? Tulsa Welding School offers an Electrical Lineworker program that can be completed in as little as 15 weeks at our Dallas Metro campus. In addition to classroom theory and hands-on experience, the curriculum prepares you for the many certification exams you must pass to become an electrical lineworker.

What Certifications Do Electrical Lineworkers Need?

For safe working conditions, electrical lineworkers must have certifications showing training compliance and safety. These required certifications include:

Class A CDL – a driver with this license can drive vehicles with a gross combined weight of 26,001 pounds or more or drivers towing more than 10,000 pounds. Many of the vehicles that a Class A CDL holder will drive include big rigs, operator tractor-trailers, buses, tanker vehicles, livestock carriers, and flatbeds.

DOT Physical – an electrical lineworker must pass the DOT physical. This ensures that an employee working in a safety-sensitive job for the Department of Transportation (DOT) passes a regular physical to be compliant. A DOT physical covers the employee’s vision, hearing, blood pressure, and pulse rate; a urinalysis for conditions like diabetes; and a physical examination.

OHSA 10 Card – The U.S. Department of Labor issues OSHA 10 cards to workers who complete a 10-hour Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training on industry-service workplace safety. This training teaches workers how to recognize and avoid common job-related hazards.

Have You Considered a Career in the Skilled Trades?

Fill out the form to recieve a no obligation info packet.

You are giving your express written consent for Tulsa Welding School to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using email, telephone or text including our use of automated technology for calls or texts to any wireless number you provide. This consent is not required to purchase goods or services and you may always call us directly at (855) 237-7711.

+ Read More

American Red Cross Public Safety Two-Year Certification – this is a certification that proves training in First Aid, CPR, and AED.

  • First Aid – covers common scenarios with the knowledge, skills, experience, and confidence for workers to save a life.
  • CPR – cardiopulmonary resuscitation is a lifesaving procedure for someone in cardiac arrest. CPR can help the heartbeat circulate blood to the brain and other vital organs until emergency workers show up and take over lifesaving procedures.
  • AED – automated external defibrillator to restart the heart after cardiac arrest.

Bucket Escape Certification – Training teaches workers how to lower the boom in an emergency and two ways to extract an incapacitated person from a bucket.

Pole Top Rescue and Bucket Rescue Certification – training on OSHA stipulations in pole top and bucket truck rescue.

Derrick Digger – proper technique to safely dig holes and set poles.

Chainsaw Safety and Maintenance – training on safely using chainsaws in the line of work.

ATSSA Flagger Certification – American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) training to understand proper flagger operations as the standard skillset of a good flagger. This training teaches workers why flagger operations are essential, how to apply standard flagger control references, identify proper flagging signals and procedures, and practice for various situations.

Want to Learn More?

Because becoming a lineworker is a hands-on job, technical training is typically required for anyone to enter this field. Many people invest in a trade program to learn the trade skills they need to be safe and effective as a professional. To learn more about our Electrical Lineworker program at the Dallas Metro campus, contact us at Tulsa Welding School or call (214) 227-9911.